January 2017 CWF Newsletter

• 26 Dec 2016 1:14 PM
    Message # 4477279

January is the beginning of a new year.  Join us for dinner January 3 and lunch January 18 as we begin 2017 with gratitude and attitude.  

January 2017 Newsletter

President's Message
     Jane H. Maulucci
     Gratitude & Attitude

We have the gift of a bright and shiny New Year! This is when we make ourselves crazy with resolutions to be better, stronger, and faster. We greet the starting line of the next 12 months focused on all the things that are wrong with us and we resolve to cure them.

We are ardent in our commitment to do or not do whatever it is and we zealously champion our personal cause; that is until we don’t. As soon as we slip off our resolution it is reported that we rarely get back on and ride it to success. We just figure we’ll give it a go next year or at some other more convenient point in our life when making a change is not so bothersome.

Let’s make a change about this whole resolution thing this year and start an immediate trend of success for everyone. Instead of tallying up what’s wrong with us and our surroundings, let’s start appreciating what is right. By starting with gratitude you will find your attitude is markedly improved.

Instead of grousing about your messy desk, be grateful that you have so many people and projects that need you. In order to serve them better and to manage your time better, you might decide you need an assistant to help you or an adjustment in your schedule to ensure things get more under control. That’s an attitude of success!

When you recognize the gifts in front of you (gratitude), you can then visualize the best way to use them (attitude).

We will have two speakers this month who are focused on Gratitude and Attitude. On January 3rd, our dinner speaker will be Michelle Benko who will teach us how the practice of gratitude can bring you peace and balance. At the luncheon on January 18th, Daynette Snead will speak to us about keeping an open and welcoming attitude in all aspects of our lives.

Resolve to join us this month to make the rest of your year outstanding. And while you are munching with your table mates, ask them what they are most grateful for.

UPCOMING EVENTS 

January 3 Dinner at the Chelsea

Networking 5:30 Dinner 6 p. m.

Happy New Year! It’s easy to get caught up in New Year resolutions, diets, and drastic changes, but could being grateful and appreciating what we already have be the answer? Join us for the first dinner meeting of 2017 as we shift our focus away from the typical resolutions to the simple practice of GRATITUDE. Michelle Benko, our guest speaker, will share her winding path to daily gratitude and how when we practice it ourselves we can begin to feel peace and balance in 2017 as opposed to the never-ending pursuit of happiness.

January 18 Lunch at the NBG&CC

Networking 11:30 Luncheon Noon

Attitude determines your altitude! By keeping an open mind and welcoming heart you are more likely to have the life you desire. Join us for lunch and listen to entrepreneur and thought leader, Daynette Snead as she conveys the benefits of being more than just positive, but of welcoming to new ideas, experiences, and people into your life.

DESSERT SPONSORS

Dinner Dessert Sponsor: 

Thanks to Kathy Sirpilla for being our Dinner Dessert Sponsor: The Gardens of Pamlico is a caring, comfortable community offering assisted living and memory care and our sister location, New Bern House ,offers assisted living.  Both offer one all-inclusive  monthly fee.

Luncheon Dessert Sponsor:

Joanna Carr of Edward Jones Investments is our Luncheon Dessert Sponsor: As a financial advisor, I help families and business owners through all phases of their lives.  Mostly I listen...to you about your concerns and goals.  Then I build a customized strategy that we implement together.  I welcome the opportunity to be of service to you!

BE A DESSERT SPONSOR

For just $30 you'll get a blurb in the       newsletter, a chance to stand up at our meeting and promote your business or cause, and the undying gratitude of the ladies who lunch and dine! Send an email to coastalwomensforumnb@gmail.com. Make your request quickly, we only have a few slots left!

BOARD NOTES

NEW MEMBERS!

We have 163 active members and since last month we have added 4 new members! Lori Corcoran, Amy Lynn, Carol McCormick, and Debra Rodriquez. Who do you know that would love to have a network of support that stretches from New Bern to Oriental?

GET ON THE BOARD...

We are looking for women interested in serving on our board. The monthly time commitment is one board meeting (a quick 1 hour), the two event meetings, and approximately 5-10 hours serving in your volunteer position. Board appointments are for 3 years, and each year you may serve in a different capacity. Still interested? YIPPEE! Reach out to any board member to further discuss serving this phenomenal organization!

PRESIDENT'S CHARITY - CRAVEN LITERACY COUNCIL

There is still time to make your donation to the Craven Literacy Council. If you forgot your checkbook at our December dinner or luncheon please forward your contribution to: Craven Literacy Council, 2507-A Neuse Blvd., New Bern, NC 28562. The CLC serves Craven, Jones, and Pamlico counties and most of their funding comes from grants and private donations. We take literacy for granted; your gift can change the future for an individual and her family.

MEMBER NEWS

CRAVEN LITERACY COUNCIL NEEDS VOLUNTEERS

Craven Literacy Council (CLC) has a waiting list of students in need of tutors. The CLC is offering a workshop to train volunteers to tutor adults desiring to improve their literacy skills.  The workshop provides participants with techniques and materials to prepare them to tutor.  Imagine if you couldn’t complete a job application, were unable to read a prescription label, or help your child with their homework.  When adults learn to read, write, or do basic math, they are better able to find jobs, enjoy better health, and educate their children.

The workshop begins Tuesday, January 17 and continues with sessions on January 19, 24, 26, and a final session on March 9 (Tuesdays and Thursdays).  These sessions are from 9:30 am until 12:30 pm.

YOU can make a difference in someone's life.  For additional information, please go to www.cravenliteracy.org, call 252-637-8079 or email Carol McCormick.

EGG CARTONS!!!

The Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina - New Bern NEEDS  egg cartons. The Food Bank receives pallets of eggs, volunteers wash and inspect the eggs, and then put them into egg cartons to provide food for people at risk of HUNGER. I am asking everyone to please bring your empty egg cartons to Joli Salon at 701 US HWY 70E. I am also asking for you to share this message with your friends. This organization is very dear to my heart, as I am a volunteer in their garden. The Food Bank in New Bern is the only Food Bank in North Carolina that has a garden that provides FRESH VEGETABLES for those in need. You can visit their website foodbankcenc.org. Thank you in advance. God Bless! Bonnie Foley 

FAMILY GIFTS

Your up to date will and  advanced directives are your final gift to your family.  This is one of the many benefits included with your LegalShield membership.  To get started today, contact Karen Monroe at 757.343.4312 or visit my website

TRAVEL SIMPLIFIED

I am a  Certified Accessible Travel Advocate. Through this certification program I have gained an understanding of the special needs/accessible travel market. I work with  the leading global provider of wheelchair rentals, scooter rentals, oxygen rentals and other special needs equipment rentals. I work with most  of the major cruise lines. I can provide services to guests visiting hotels, resorts, theme parks and convention centers.

I  have  worked as a travel agent for over 40 years, but did not really understand what it is like to travel if you have a disability until a few years ago. My husband and I keep on rolling and I would like to help you and your family keep experiencing the freedom of travel.

Anita English, My Travel Agent
    travelto@suddenlink.net
    252-638-4134
    www.mytravelagentinc.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MyTravelAgent1

STRUCTURED CHAOS

With a new year comes a new opportunity to get your papers in order and take your business to the next level. Do this by outsourcing the administrative work you don’t want to do, have time to do and takes you away from doing what you love. Structured Chaos will virtually eliminate your additional stressors by virtually doing your behind-the-scenes work for you! Call today to talk about how you can grow your business in 2017! 252-665-3424 tanya@structuredchaos.biz or visit www.structuredchaos.biz.

HAPPY PET, HAPPY HOME!

Enriching your life by caring for your pet.

Pet Sitting – Leave your pets in the comfort of their own home while you travel, and have peace of mind that they are being cared for by us.  We’ll keep your pet on its usual routine:  feeding, watering, oral/topical medicine, walking, play times, litter boxes, and cleanups.  We’ll bring in the mail, take the trash to the curb, rotate lights, and keep a look out for potential problems at no additional charge.   

Dog Walking – We’d love to get your dog out to stretch their legs and work their noses!  Whether you are working all day or going on a day trip, we’re here to help.  Schedule your Winter Walks now.

Crockett’s Critter Care is insured, bonded, certified, background check passed, experienced, and trained in Pet First Aid/CPR.    You may contact Jeanne Crockett at crockettscrittercare.com or by calling (252) 635-2655

Hi, I'm Laurie Hart from Think Hart Solutions-Social Media Strategy and Management. We specialize in small businesses and offer affordable prices and business expertise.

Do you find yourself saying that you know you need to be doing that social media thing? Frustrated with so-called experts with no business experience telling you how you should run yours?  

Think Hart Solutions is here to help you grow your business through engaging and effective social media.

Social media is the number one way to build awareness of your brand, cultivate prospective customers and keep the ones you have. It is the least expensive and most effective way to grow your business.

Working as a team, we will build a clear strategy that takes into account what you’re trying to achieve, who your customers are and what your competition is doing.

Contact me today at 919.349.4455 or thinkhartsolutions@gmail.com

Get your Social Media on!

SUBMIT!

Remember to submit your 150 word blurb to
    coastalwomensforumnb@gmail.com
    by the 10th of the month for the next newsletter!

Last modified: 26 Dec 2016 1:16 PM | Jane Maulucci

UPCOMING EVENTS

CWF Newsletters

“Nothing happens until someone sells something.”

~Attributed to Henry Ford

President's Message

Nelda Coats

Charting a New Course!

Like it or not, no matter what your title is, you’re selling something. Some of us are literally selling services or goods. Others may be promoting a non-profit and encouraging people to donate or volunteer. No matter what your role is within an organization, good customer service is vital to keep people coming back. An essential part of growing a business or non-profit is attracting new customers, volunteers and donors. The first word in Coastal Women’s Forum’s tagline is “Networking”. Whether you joined CWF to specifically find new customers or just to meet new women, networking describes how this is done.

I have belonged to many networking organizations during my career – from loose groups who met for breakfast once a month to more formal weekly networking groups such as BNI (Business Networking International). With formal groups, there is a stated structure and exact procedures to follow to get to know other members of the group and to provide referrals to each other. Referrals given and received are tracked, tallied and reported on. While this is not emphasized within CWF, I think we can learn some lessons from these groups on how to network.

First and foremost, we all are a center of influence. We have friends, families, and co-workers that we interact with daily. When we are asked for advice or recommendations for service, who do we recommend? Generally, someone whose service we have used or someone we know who performs that service. As members of Coastal Women’s Forum, we have at our fingertips over 120 women who are resources for many goods and services and represent non-profit organizations. Aside from just checking the directory, how do we confidently recommend our sisters?

There’s another old saying in sales that folks have to “know you, like you and trust you.” And it begins with “know you.” I would like to encourage you to get to know your fellow members in CWF beyond sitting together at our daytime and evening meetings. In BNI we were expected to participate in “one-on-one’s”. These were meetings outside the group meetings between two members. We even had suggested questions to ask each other to facilitate learning all about each other and our businesses. What could happen if you made a commitment to ask one person to coffee that you met at CWF? What if you met with one person a month? At the least you’d learn more about each other, you might even gain some new business, or even better, you may make a new friend.

In January, our program coordinators have designed our meetings around Getting to Know You so that you will have an opportunity to learn more about your CWF sisters. Besides being a lot of fun, we’ll learn more about each other and I encourage you to be on the lookout for someone that you just might want to get to know a bit better!

Let’s have coffee,

Upcoming Events

JANUARY PROGRAMS

As Coastal Women’s Forum continues Charting a New Course, we’ll start the new year by getting to know our sister travelers!

Coastal Women’s Forum will celebrate 2022 with Getting to Know You networking programs in January. We have welcomed several new members this program year and many of our members have embarked on new paths since they joined the Forum. The January daytime and evening meetings will feature different networking activities and provide the opportunity to get to know our Coastal Women’s Forum sisters a little better. 

Please plan to join in these fun celebrations. The meetings will also be great opportunities to welcome guests and introduce them to our wonderful Coastal Women’s Forum sisters! We look forward to seeing you in January for the beginning of a great 2022!

Dessert Sponsors

"Miss Julia' Hart

RE/MAX Homestead

JANUARY 4th EVENING MEETING

DESSERT SPONSOR

Thank you to our January Evening Meeting Dessert Sponsor, "Miss Julia" Hart, of RE/MAX Homestead.

JANUARY 19th DAYTIME MEETING

DESSERT SPONSOR

Thank you to our January Daytime Meeting Dessert Sponsor, Georgiana Bowman Bircher, of Edward Jones!

Georgiana Bowman Bircher

Edward Jones

Updated Meal Cancellation Policy 

• If you made a reservation and cannot attend, please CANCEL your reservation for either evening or daytime meetings.
  • Cancellations for monthly evening meetings should be no later than noon on the Sunday before the evening meeting. Email cwfdinner@gmail.com
  • Cancellations for monthly daytime meetings should be made no later than noon on the Monday before the lunch meeting. Email  cwflunch@gmail.com.
  • If cancellations are not received by these deadlines, you will be responsible to cover the cost of your meal.
  • Please note the difference in emails.
  • While masks are not required, their use is greatly encouraged and appreciated.

Thank you, all!

Membership

Welcome New Members:

Shannon Adcock - United Bank

Anne Griggs - The French Bee Events

Christina Howerin - Farmasi & Park Lane Jewelry

Eileen Paxton

Margaret Pollock - Christ Church, New Bern

Member News

Greetings! 

Wishing you a Winter Wonderland this Christmas Season!

All the Best,

Elise A. Medenbach, LMBT #327 Massage Therapy

Tyson Professional Center

1425 South Glenburnie Road, Suite 6

New Bern, NC 28560

www.amtamembers.com/elisemedenbach

252 474-6118

Martha Smith Massaad

Become healthier with your product choices for your home & body. When you take care of YOU; it helps the environment. When you help the environment; it helps YOU.

Find out about ingredients....some are really bad. I help busy professionals become more responsible for their self-care and health by teaching them about their lifestyle choices and the impact it has on their health. The bonus is when you transform your health, you become more people and planet friendly.

Call Martha at 252.269.5171 for a no obligation review of your pantry, bathroom and kitchen products.

There is one thing that matters & that is YOUR health"

Saha - to your health

Martha Smith Massaad

www.riseradiantlywithmartha.com 

Local Authors and Books

• Nada Behr (Children) - We Want a Dog
  • Kim Rice Smith (Christian Literature) - The Heart of a Warrior
  • A.J. Clements (Historical Fiction) - Avonvale
  • Kyre Smith (Personal Development) - Unpopular Beliefs: Everyday Issues
  • Mellanie Crouell (Neo Soul) - 25 Days of Roses
  • Stanley Trice ( Young Adult Sci-Fi) - High School Rocket Science
  • Les Pendleton (Fiction) - The Bridges at Union Point
  • Todd Wetherington (Short Stories) - Savages
  • John Scirica (Murder/Thriller/ESP) - Deadly Dreams
  • Candace Williams (Japanese Historical) - The Earthquake Doll

Have lunch with an author!

Learn about their book as they speak for a few minutes. Autographed copies of the books will be available for purchase.

Proceeds to benefit STEM Scholarships at Craven Community College.

Local Authors Luncheon

Saturday,

January 15, 2022,

at 11:30 AM

The Chelsea Restaurant

sponsored by:

$30 ticket

($12 tax deductible)

Tickets available at the Next Chapter Book & Art Store (Downtown New Bern) or by calling (252) 637-9499 or (252) 633-1931.

Submit!

Remember to submit your 150 word blurb to cwfnewsletter@gmail.com along with a jpeg or png image by the 10th of the month for the next newsletter.

Coastal Women's Forum
PO Box 15392
New Bern, NC 28561
www.coastalwomensforum.com
www.facebook.com/coastalwomensforum

Copyright @ Coastal Women's Forum

Website designed and developed by LinearTech, LLC,