December 2018 Newsletter

• 16 Nov 2018 9:40 AM
    Message # 6910482

"Nothing says the holidays like a cheese log."  Ellen DeGeneres

December 2018 Newsletter

President's Message

Eileen Nonemaker

Home for the Holidays

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone swiftly by and that we are approaching the winter holidays. Hollywood has romanticized the concept of being home for the holidays, but in many families, it has often been a dilemma as to where to spend them…her family’s, his family’s, with the kids or with the in-laws…maybe with good friends…and what do we mean by “home”?

Growing up, we spent Christmas eve with my mother’s sisters – at one aunt’s house with all my cousins. Christmas day we visited my paternal grandparents, with my father’s brothers and sisters and my cousins. As the families grew, with marriages and grandchildren, we no longer gathered as a group, but as individual family units. I remember that it was pretty simple until I got married. Then we had to share with each other’s parents or host ourselves and deal with food likes and dislikes and different cultural traditions. It was never easy. But I seem to recollect that it always went fairly well and there were no real issues. I hope your recollection is similar.

It is different now, because our parents are gone and we are celebrating with siblings, nieces and nephews and their children. On Rob’s side it’s an elegant dinner prepared by his brother and sister-in-law. On my side, the quiet dinners with adult conversation are a thing of the past. Now, it’s all about the kids.

The Christmas tree at my sister’s house is almost buried by the gifts for her six grandchildren. Opening gifts takes quite a while, starting with the youngest, whose attention span is the shortest, and ending with the oldest, who will be twenty-one this year. Each year the types of gifts change as each one grows older and develops new interests. And we all look forward to our “new” traditional feasts that are very different from our parents.

My family is lucky – we survived Florence with no damage to our homes. Our holidays will be somewhat normal. Unfortunately, not everyone can say the same thing. Our community is still not back to normal with folks in rentals, staying with family and friends, and busy renovating, reconstructing or possible relocating.

Family celebrations past and present have been wonderful gatherings with family members sharing love, food and gifts. This year, many people are displaced and for many their funds being diverted to rebuilding. Many kids (and adults) may be short on joy. Please share the joy by offering an invitation to a neighbor or friend, and by sharing what you can with Habitat for Humanity through the President's chosen Charity. 

We welcome you to start your holiday celebrations at our December events. Our Dinner at The Chelsea on December 4th and our Lunch at the New Bern Golf and Country Club on December 19th.  Our host locations will be brightly decorated with holiday cheer and we will provide opportunities for fun, joy, and laughs.  Representing the President’s Charity at our December events is Habitat for Humanity’s Volunteer Coordinator, Deedra Durocher.

I chose this charity several months ago, long before Florence arrived. The vision of Habitat, founded in 1976, is “a world where everyone has a decent place to live.” It seems this vision is very meaningful for those in our area who are still working to get back in their homes.

Habitat for Humanity offers opportunities for first-time home buyers in low income communities who meet certain criteria. Due to the destruction created by Florence, the Habitat Board of Directors has reduced this year’s goal for building new homes, to create a special program for the repair and rebuilding of 50-55 Habitat and non-Habitat homes in Craven County. Deedra has prepared a more detailed article later in this newsletter.

December is a hectic month, but please take some time to celebrate with your CWF sisters! See you then!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Tuesday, December 4th  5:30 - 7:00 p.m.   Dinner at the Chelsea

Wednesday, December 19th  11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.  Lunch at the NBG&CC

Both events this month will feature the President's Charity, Habitat for Humanity Craven County.  Deedra Durocher is the Volunteer and Resource Coordinator and she will share information about the organization and the volunteer opportunities, many of which,  fit an individual's skills, interests, and expertise.  

DESSERT SPONSORS

Dinner Dessert Sponsor - Thank you, Lee

At Caravel Coaching, Lee Chaix McDonough serves helpers, healers, and creative entrepreneurs who want to build successful, authentic businesses. Using what she calls “the 3 Ms” – meaning, mindset, and mindfulness – Lee’s mission is to empower small business owners to create, grow, and scale their businesses while remaining true to their vision and their values.

Lee provides customized individual coaching, small group programs, and workshops, and is an acclaimed public speaker and writer. Her first book, ACT On Your Business, will be published February 2019. Download a free chapter and discover the 3Ms by going to https://www.caravelcoaching.com/chapter.

Contact Lee at lee@caravelcoaching.com, or head to https://www.caravelcoaching.com to learn more about her approach to coaching and her services.

Lunch Dessert Sponsor - Thank you, Nelda

Nelda Coats, Resource Financial Services

252-648-0918
    502 Hodges Street, Suite #5,
    P O Box 755
    OrientalNC   28571

BOARD NOTES

MEMBERSHIP

Diane Hogan, A Step Ahead Adoption Services, Inc.

Christine Moore, ECEC

Sheridan Holstein, Retired Educator 

Michele Douglas, 3GenFashion 

Angelica Roman

PRESIDENT'S CHARITY

Habitat for Humanity Craven County 

Habitat for Humanity was established in 1976 by Millard & Linda Fuller in Americas, GA with the vision of “A world where everyone has a decent place to live.”  In June 1989, a group of citizens who shared this vision founded our local Habitat for Humanity of Craven County and over the last 29 years, this local affiliate has completed 66 homes, impacting over 95 adults and 120 children. Construction on home #67 will begin in late November and four new homes are planned by the end of this fiscal year in June 2019. In addition, a special program for repairs and rebuilding in response to damages experienced in our community from Hurricane Florence will be coordinated by Habitat Craven County to assist Habitat and non-Habitat homeowners in the coming months.  

There are currently 1250 Habitat affiliates in the US, with 67 located in North Carolina. Each Habitat affiliate operates independently, although each follows the general policies of Habitat for Humanity International and is responsible for their own fundraising. Habitat Craven County accomplishes this through grant awards as well as donations from businesses, organizations and individuals. In addition, monthly mortgage payments go into the Fund for Humanity to support ongoing home building projects and the Habitat ReStore contributes critical revenue from the sale of donated furniture, appliances, and household or remodeling items.

On an international level, Habitat is involved with building or investing in 84 countries throughout the world. Through an annual Tithe Program, Habitat Craven County has contributed over $104,000 to build 41 homes to date. A Global Village trip is planned in 2020 to recruit volunteers from New Bern for an international building mission. A Habitat “Home Brew Coffee” has been created to bring awareness and support for this trip and three South American countries are represented in the coffee selections available through Habitat Craven County.

With a small staff of ten, six of whom are dedicated to the ReStore, Habitat Craven County is dependent on volunteers to support construction, ReStore, and committee activities. There are a variety of volunteer opportunities to fit individual skills, interests, expertise, and time schedules whether you have only a few hours or are looking for an ongoing project.

Deedra Durocher, Volunteer & Resource Coordinator

MEMBER NEWS

The Philosophy of Decluttering

One of the most common questions I get asked is…"Where do you begin the decluttering process with a client who has a home (and garage) full of stuff"?  In my experience, it’s best to start with stuff that has less emotional attachment and these are belongings usually stored in spare bedroom closets, hallway closets, the attic or garage (out of the way places where you don’t see them every day).  

If you start with things that don’t hold significant memories or attachment, you’ll gain momentum and feel a sense of accomplishment before the time comes to tackle the items you are attached to but know it is time to part with; clothes, shoes, cosmetics, sporting equipment, household linens, kitchen gadgets, etc. 

I would be happy to have a conversation or start the decluttering process when you or someone you know is ready. 

Contact Linda @ 252-288-4467 or linda@efficiencyninja.com.

Become a Savvy International Traveler

In January, 2018, Craven Community College Adult Enrichment Program will offer “An Introduction to International Travel,” a new course to help you make the most of your overseas adventures. Whether you’re interested in exploring far away places, a novice traveler looking for a way to take those first steps toward your trip, or an international traveler wanting to get more out of your future journeys, this course is for you.

In this three session program you will learn:

• What documents you will need and where to get them
    • How to find the best travel deals
    • How to find accessible accommodations and what rights you have in foreign countries as a person with a disability
    • How to pack like a pro
    • Preparing for and handling health concerns while traveling; and so much more!

For more information or to register, visit http://cravencc.edu/aep/enrichment-special-interest/#tvl.

Perfect Pet Presents

Your holiday shopping list will, of course, include gifts for your pets. While Rex and Fluffy will enjoy their new playthings (or at least the box they came in), what your pets really want is some playtime. Your pup would love a good daily walk or a chance to play fetch, while your cat is longing for an opportunity to show off their dexterity. And, if you asked, each of them would beg for a gentle brushing. Let Crockett’s Critter Care make their holiday dreams come true. Call Jeanne and set up a regular playdate with one of Crockett’s professional caregivers.

Jeanne Crockett’s team is bonded and insured which means you are hiring trained professionals to care for your beloved pet whether furry, feathered, or finned. For Fear Free professional pet sitting and dog walking go to crockettscrittercare.com, contact Jeanne by email , or call her at 252.635.2655.

Smart, simple legal coverage starts here!

Protect your family, your business, and your personal identity with simple, comprehensive coverage from LegalShield and IDShield. 

Call me to discuss your needs and how we can help.  Karen Monroe, Independent Associate cell:  757.343.4312 

https://karenmonroe.ladiesofjustice.com/

Challenge Made

“My Travel Agent, LLC”  was recently featured in an article in Travel Market Reports, a national travel industry magazine. Anita English and two other New Bern travel agents recently founded “Luggage for Kids” to collect gently used suitcases for Craven County Foster Children. When Travel Planners International, my host agency, saw my post, ” Luggage for Kids,”  on Facebook, they contacted TMR.  I concluded the interview by issuing a challenge to other travel agents to start a similar program in their communities. A trash bag is not a suitcase.  To donate luggage call 252-638-4134.

Anita English

My Travel Agent

travelto@suddenlink.net

252-638-4134

www.mytravelagentinc.com

https://www.facebook.com/MyTravelAgent1

SUBMIT!

Remember to submit your 150 word blurb to
    cwfnewsletter@gmail.com along with a jpeg or png
    by the 10th of the month for the next newsletter!

UPCOMING EVENTS

CWF Newsletters

“Nothing happens until someone sells something.”

~Attributed to Henry Ford

President's Message

Nelda Coats

Charting a New Course!

Like it or not, no matter what your title is, you’re selling something. Some of us are literally selling services or goods. Others may be promoting a non-profit and encouraging people to donate or volunteer. No matter what your role is within an organization, good customer service is vital to keep people coming back. An essential part of growing a business or non-profit is attracting new customers, volunteers and donors. The first word in Coastal Women’s Forum’s tagline is “Networking”. Whether you joined CWF to specifically find new customers or just to meet new women, networking describes how this is done.

I have belonged to many networking organizations during my career – from loose groups who met for breakfast once a month to more formal weekly networking groups such as BNI (Business Networking International). With formal groups, there is a stated structure and exact procedures to follow to get to know other members of the group and to provide referrals to each other. Referrals given and received are tracked, tallied and reported on. While this is not emphasized within CWF, I think we can learn some lessons from these groups on how to network.

First and foremost, we all are a center of influence. We have friends, families, and co-workers that we interact with daily. When we are asked for advice or recommendations for service, who do we recommend? Generally, someone whose service we have used or someone we know who performs that service. As members of Coastal Women’s Forum, we have at our fingertips over 120 women who are resources for many goods and services and represent non-profit organizations. Aside from just checking the directory, how do we confidently recommend our sisters?

There’s another old saying in sales that folks have to “know you, like you and trust you.” And it begins with “know you.” I would like to encourage you to get to know your fellow members in CWF beyond sitting together at our daytime and evening meetings. In BNI we were expected to participate in “one-on-one’s”. These were meetings outside the group meetings between two members. We even had suggested questions to ask each other to facilitate learning all about each other and our businesses. What could happen if you made a commitment to ask one person to coffee that you met at CWF? What if you met with one person a month? At the least you’d learn more about each other, you might even gain some new business, or even better, you may make a new friend.

In January, our program coordinators have designed our meetings around Getting to Know You so that you will have an opportunity to learn more about your CWF sisters. Besides being a lot of fun, we’ll learn more about each other and I encourage you to be on the lookout for someone that you just might want to get to know a bit better!

Let’s have coffee,

Upcoming Events

JANUARY PROGRAMS

As Coastal Women’s Forum continues Charting a New Course, we’ll start the new year by getting to know our sister travelers!

Coastal Women’s Forum will celebrate 2022 with Getting to Know You networking programs in January. We have welcomed several new members this program year and many of our members have embarked on new paths since they joined the Forum. The January daytime and evening meetings will feature different networking activities and provide the opportunity to get to know our Coastal Women’s Forum sisters a little better. 

Please plan to join in these fun celebrations. The meetings will also be great opportunities to welcome guests and introduce them to our wonderful Coastal Women’s Forum sisters! We look forward to seeing you in January for the beginning of a great 2022!

Dessert Sponsors

"Miss Julia' Hart

RE/MAX Homestead

JANUARY 4th EVENING MEETING

DESSERT SPONSOR

Thank you to our January Evening Meeting Dessert Sponsor, "Miss Julia" Hart, of RE/MAX Homestead.

JANUARY 19th DAYTIME MEETING

DESSERT SPONSOR

Thank you to our January Daytime Meeting Dessert Sponsor, Georgiana Bowman Bircher, of Edward Jones!

Georgiana Bowman Bircher

Edward Jones

Updated Meal Cancellation Policy 

• If you made a reservation and cannot attend, please CANCEL your reservation for either evening or daytime meetings.
  • Cancellations for monthly evening meetings should be no later than noon on the Sunday before the evening meeting. Email cwfdinner@gmail.com
  • Cancellations for monthly daytime meetings should be made no later than noon on the Monday before the lunch meeting. Email  cwflunch@gmail.com.
  • If cancellations are not received by these deadlines, you will be responsible to cover the cost of your meal.
  • Please note the difference in emails.
  • While masks are not required, their use is greatly encouraged and appreciated.

Thank you, all!

Membership

Welcome New Members:

Shannon Adcock - United Bank

Anne Griggs - The French Bee Events

Christina Howerin - Farmasi & Park Lane Jewelry

Eileen Paxton

Margaret Pollock - Christ Church, New Bern

Member News

Greetings! 

Wishing you a Winter Wonderland this Christmas Season!

All the Best,

Elise A. Medenbach, LMBT #327 Massage Therapy

Tyson Professional Center

1425 South Glenburnie Road, Suite 6

New Bern, NC 28560

www.amtamembers.com/elisemedenbach

252 474-6118

Martha Smith Massaad

Become healthier with your product choices for your home & body. When you take care of YOU; it helps the environment. When you help the environment; it helps YOU.

Find out about ingredients....some are really bad. I help busy professionals become more responsible for their self-care and health by teaching them about their lifestyle choices and the impact it has on their health. The bonus is when you transform your health, you become more people and planet friendly.

Call Martha at 252.269.5171 for a no obligation review of your pantry, bathroom and kitchen products.

There is one thing that matters & that is YOUR health"

Saha - to your health

Martha Smith Massaad

www.riseradiantlywithmartha.com 

Local Authors and Books

• Nada Behr (Children) - We Want a Dog
  • Kim Rice Smith (Christian Literature) - The Heart of a Warrior
  • A.J. Clements (Historical Fiction) - Avonvale
  • Kyre Smith (Personal Development) - Unpopular Beliefs: Everyday Issues
  • Mellanie Crouell (Neo Soul) - 25 Days of Roses
  • Stanley Trice ( Young Adult Sci-Fi) - High School Rocket Science
  • Les Pendleton (Fiction) - The Bridges at Union Point
  • Todd Wetherington (Short Stories) - Savages
  • John Scirica (Murder/Thriller/ESP) - Deadly Dreams
  • Candace Williams (Japanese Historical) - The Earthquake Doll

Have lunch with an author!

Learn about their book as they speak for a few minutes. Autographed copies of the books will be available for purchase.

Proceeds to benefit STEM Scholarships at Craven Community College.

Local Authors Luncheon

Saturday,

January 15, 2022,

at 11:30 AM

The Chelsea Restaurant

sponsored by:

$30 ticket

($12 tax deductible)

Tickets available at the Next Chapter Book & Art Store (Downtown New Bern) or by calling (252) 637-9499 or (252) 633-1931.

Submit!

Remember to submit your 150 word blurb to cwfnewsletter@gmail.com along with a jpeg or png image by the 10th of the month for the next newsletter.

Coastal Women's Forum
PO Box 15392
New Bern, NC 28561
www.coastalwomensforum.com
www.facebook.com/coastalwomensforum

Copyright @ Coastal Women's Forum

Website designed and developed by LinearTech, LLC,